In 2012 a group of representatives from the mental health and addictions sectors in the Auckland Region was formed in order to bring a unified approach to work across the Auckland region.
The Advisory Group works to achieve this in the following ways:
• Information exchange in order to avoid duplication and add value to existing work in the Auckland region
• Providing a collective voice for advocacy on issues of mutual concern
• To represent the multiple consumer viewpoints within the Auckland region
• Peer review of the work undertaken by Changing Minds
• Contributing/inputting to research and reviews from a consumer perspective
Membership of the Advisory Group is based on diversity and a “consumer”/“service-user” approach. The aim is to ensure the group has membership that consists of individuals working in at least one of the following areas: Maori, Pacific, Asian, refugees and migrants, younger people, older people, rainbow community, disability, addictions sector, mental health sector, families.